Pages

Wednesday 21 July 2010

It's been a while.

Now that it's the summer months, my workplace has become very quiet so I am using this downtime to crack on with the construction of the primary 6 project. I'm also continuing with the design phase of the Cessna glass simulator and have made some steady progress. We are lucky to have a low to medium strength laser cutter here at the university and I'm hoping to do some tests with it tomorrow. I'm using polycarbonate which may be too strong for our laser but we'll see how well it works. I've been told acrylic is softer and easier to handle but I would like to use Polycarbonate to make the panels strong.

The MDF is being cut by a CNC routing company in Newport. They usually make signs but they are very kindly taking on this small job. Initially I wanted to get the MDF parts laser cut too but the bed size of 600m x 300mm is too small. I am hoping the CNC router will cut accurately because there are some fiddly places, especially with spar one where the warning indicator sits. Again...we'll see.

I've made some CNC drawings with our large format printer that I am hoping will help me with the design process of my larger project. It's nice to be able to physically see the project to scale for once.

Report back with some images once I have something to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment