Pages

Sunday 21 February 2010

Primary 6 - construction of the housing.




Lately, i've been working on the final piece in the puzzle for this project, which is the housing that will hold all the panels, electronics and power supply. I initially was going to make it out of plastic but I went back to a material that is the backbone of simpit construction, wonderful MDF. It's such a versatile material and i have found it very easy to work with in the past.

I've been racking my brain trying to work out the best way for it all to come together and i decided on a housing made up of 3 MDF spars with aluminium rod holding the pieces upright.

It's amazing how many problems can be solved when designing usingwith a computer. When constructing the front spar in CAD I failed to notice the very tight clearance of the warning indicator, and after pieceing it all together in Sketchup, I noticed i had to go back to the drawing board. There was no way it was going to fit. I think I have solved it now but if this was a couple of years ago I probably would have only found that out AFTER cutting the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment